A Diggity Dang Unicorn

I am amazing, in addition I'm a 22 year old sculptor (though I do other arts too). I love to make things and I love animals. My favorites are ungulates but I love dogs, cats, chickens, spiders, and mythological beasties too! Actually I love all animals and will probably post as many as possible. I collect a lot of things and you will see everything from breyer horses and customs by myself to dead animals ranging from fresh stuff to skulls/bones and taxidermy. I always tag dead stuff and other certain triggering stuff but sometime I forget so there's that. In addition this blog will also hold anything I find interesting to journal like posts about my day to random fandom stuff and humor.

My dream is to live on a self sustaining farm with many goats, ponies, alpacas, and chickens with a nice out building dedicated to my sculpture studio practices.

Art blog: goatontheceilingstudio.tumblr.com

So here’s how my coat has gone so far. First I detached the label patch from the lining of the coat to use for a test dye before I did the whole coat. I read the directions on my dye package and soaked the leather and a sample of wool in a small dye bath and let it dry for a while before deciding that it didn’t harm the suede and I liked the color.

I took a pic of dyed patch with the original coat to show the color difference before I started soaking the coat in water.

I followed the directions on the dye package and used two bottles of the stuff to about 20 gallons of water in the garbage can. The other garbage can was filled with cold hose water and was for the presoak and post dye rinse. To the dye bath I added 3 cups of vinegar as the directions said it would work best for wool if vinegar was added.

I did not agitate the bath as directed because wool in hot water tends to felt. I didn’t want a dreadlocked mess of wool trim so opted to instead use broom handles to poke it around and keep it submerged, every once in a while I’d pull the coat up and rearrange it so no part was ever bunched up and everything would take dye evenly.

After half an hour I rinsed a sleeve off and took a look at it. It looked great and it went straight from the dye bath into the rinse bath. I rinsed it best I could in that water while my mom dumped the dye bath out and rinsed the can out. We then transferred the coat back to that can and took turns holding it up and rinsing it even more with the hose. It was very very heavy and taking turns was super nice!

After the rinsing was done we took turns holding it while the other squeezed water from the coat. We even laid it down and rolled it up and gently twisted it to get even more access water out. Because the water made it so heavy I didn’t want to hang it up in fear that the weight would stretch it out. Instead we laid it on a clean picnic blanket and blocked it out so it wouldn’t be wrinkled while it dries. Eventually when it’s mostly dry I’ll hang it up.

I’m pretty excited about it! It’s a deep burgundy and its really pretty. The wool trim didn’t take all the dye and so far looks like a gradient of the old red color to deep burgundy at the ends. I’m pretty excited for seeing how the wool dries out!

  • 1 September 2013
  • 3